This town started with Richard L. Garrison as the first person given a land grant in Dunedin in 1852.
Then came two Scotsmen, J.O. Douglas and James Somerville, which they later named it Dunedin after applying for the first post office in northern Pinellas County. The name is taken from Scottish Gaelic Dùn Èideann, the Scottish Gaelic for Edinburgh.
They had docks built to accommodate larger sailing vessels which made Dunedin an important trading center with the largest fleet of sailing vessels in the state during this time.
It became incorporated as the City of Dunedin in 1925 after numerous complaints about pigs running around in the settlement. This created a still-standing ban on livestock within city limits. By 1913, the town had a population of only 350 and today over 36,000.